GRIOT Circle – an acronym for Gay Reunion in Our Time, and meaning storyteller and keeper of oral history in West African culture - was founded in 1996. The organization has been based in Brooklyn for the past 24 years and remains the only staffed 501 c 3 organization in the country that exclusively serves the needs of LGBTQ elders of color. GRIOT Circle provides programs and services at the intersections of older age, gender, and sexual orientation/identity, and unapologetically centers race, social justice, and equity in all its methodologies.
Our mission is to respond to and eliminate all forms of oppression, including: ageism, racism, sexism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia, poverty, xenophobia, and their intersections. We achieve this by providing health, wellness, advocacy, and leadership activities to remove isolation and fear, build community, as well as honor racial and ethnic traditions.
They are hiring a Case Manager!
GRAND STREET SETTLEMENT- YOUTH SERVICES DEPT
TITLE: COMMUNITY EDUCATOR/ACTIVITY SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services
LOCATION: Lower East Side, Manhattan
REPORTS TO: Adolescent Sexual Health Coordinator
DATES: September 2020 – June 30, 2021
SCHEDULE: M-F, 20 hrs/week, 2pm - 6pm (must be flexible to work hour changes)
This position is performance-based and it is also contingent on funding availability.
The Community Educator/Activity Specialist will work with our Project Speak Out Loud (PSOL) Program and
additional Adolescent Sexual Health programs to ensure seamless programming for the Peer Education
program. They will be responsible for creating programming to engage youth during drop-in hours and promote
recruitment and retention of participants.
AVP empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence through organizing and education, and supports survivors through counseling and advocacy.
AVP envisions a world in which all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected people are safe, respected, and live free from violence.
AVP is hiring for multiple positions.
About Rising Ground and STEPS to End Family Violence: Driven by the belief that each of us can
thrive when life has hope and opportunity, Rising Ground provides caring support and proven
paths to positive change, helping children, adults, and families rise above adversity and each
year Rising Ground is a positive force in the lives of more than 25,000 individuals. STEPS to End
Family Violence - Rising Ground’s anti-intimate partner violence program - offers a variety of
trauma-informed, anti-oppressive programming focused on the prevention of intimate partner
violence; advocacy and healing for survivors and children impacted by abusive partner behavior;
accountability classes for young men who have caused harm to their intimate partner; and
training intended to increase awareness of the epidemic of gender-based violence. Since the
program's founding in 1986, STEPS has been deliberately dedicated to engaging in work that is
innovative and deeply survivor-centered and works to promote the idea that support for
survivors of IPV that is not aligned with anti-oppressive, anti-racist, feminist/womanist principles
tends to unintentionally mimic systems of oppression, and is ultimately, re-traumatizing and
Three Job Postings Available:
How to Apply: All applications will be received via email. No phone calls or snail mail, please.
All applications must include (in PDF format) a current resume and thoughtful cover letter
including how you became aware of this opportunity. Please e-mail applications to Helianis
Quijada Salazar at email@example.com. In the subject line please put “Intake
Application deadline - 10/2/2020
Outreach and Enrollment Coordinator
Improves market awareness and supports community presence for VNSNY CHOICE SelectHealth within a particular territory, through the coordination and implementation of presentations, events and grassroots strategies to enhance product visibility. Ensures successful membership enrollment in Plan based on eligibility, with a specific focus on the transgender population. Works under general supervision.
- Assists with administering events and activities, such as tabling at street fairs, participating in community-established health fairs, presentations around health education, etc., designed to enhance the visibility of SelectHealth in the community. Provides feedback regarding the effectiveness of programs and events to Outreach and Partnership Development management including recommendations to improve events and strategies to increase product visibility.
- Assists with publicity and promotional efforts for community events to deliver adequate notice to potential participants and to drive event attendance and effectiveness in conjunction with marketing department.
- Evaluates and sets schedule and pace of events.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships with Community Based Organizations (CBO) and FQHCs in conjunction with partnership outreach advocates. Participates in CBO boards, committees and activities to promote community presence and VNSNY footprint.
- Attends weekday, and at times weekend community and SelectHealth events to answer existing and potential member questions; may provide in-person or virtual member orientations if needed.
- Collaborates with Partnership team and Community Based Organization staff to determine and/or partner with specific event(s) offered at site or those created by SelectHealth when necessary.
- Coordinates informational presentations and educates community groups and the public about SelectHealth.
- Helps identify potential community partners and opportunities that may support referrals to SelectHealth.
- Identifies and recommends appropriate campaigns and sponsorships by gathering and assessing pertinent data from the community and contacts, and collaborating with partnership outreach and management.
- Demonstrates familiarity with, and remains updated with respect to, laws, regulations, and policies around SelectHealth marketing and enrollment activities. Stays current on all new marketing policies as designated by NYS dept of Health and adheres to appropriate regulations.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Would you like to become a part of the COVID-19 Contact Tracing Initiative? New York State is now searching for volunteers to fill three types of jobs: Contact Tracers, Team Supervisors and Community Support Specialists. Visit this website to apply today.
- Contact Tracers are responsible for reaching out to the contacts of anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 to assess symptoms, ensure quarantine compliance and determine social support needs.
- Team Supervisors lead a team of 20 Contact Tracers, and one Community Support Specialist who are working remotely, using digital tools.
- Community Support Specialists work with the team and the local health departments to address the physical/mental health, and social/human service needs of each family, especially for those who are in isolation or under quarantine.
New York State plans to hire a team of 6,400 to 17,000 staff, to support the New York State Department of Health and local health departments in performing contact tracing in communities across the state. The final number of staff will also depend on the projected total number of COVID-19 cases.
More information about how to apply to be a part of the NYS Contact Tracing Team can be found on the Westchester County Health Department Coronavirus Page. Visit the New York State website to find out more about how you can help.
Advocates for Youth works alongside thousands of young people here in the U.S. and around the globe as they fight for sexual health, rights and justice.
For job listings: Click here
The New York Transgender Advocacy Group is a Trans-led organization.
Our mission is to advocate for more inclusive gender-based policies that benefit Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming/Non-Binary (TGNCNB) individuals through building community leaders, educating practitioners, and influencing policy makers.
Our vision is to create an equitable society for TGNCNB people. To achieve this, we work with stakeholders around New York to train and empower the TGNCNB community to become active leaders in shaping the world around them.
For career opportunities: Click here