Peer Support Mentor Position in Mount Vernon, N.Y.
Competitive Salary, Full Time/Part Time Positions with Excellent Benefits
The Mental Health Empowerment Project, Inc. (MHEP) is a self-help and Peer Support agency organized in 1988 to develop and strengthen self-help and mutual support activities throughout the United States. MHEP currently has Peer Support positions (P/T & F/T) open in Mt. Vernon, N.Y. The F/T position will be 37.5 hours per week with benefits and the P/T position will be 20 hours per week.
Bi-Lingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Responsibilities of these positions include but are not limited to:
- Working with people in both one-to-one and group settings, facilitating peer support groups, events and activities;
- Helping people establish creative community connections and assisting them to develop natural supports;
- Establishing connections to community-based activities that enhance wellness, recovery and social engagement;
- Engaging people in one-to-one recovery planning, using tools such as Wellness recovery Action Planning; Eight Dimensions of Wellness;
- Assisting people to choose, record and achieve personal milestones;
- Offering individualized advocacy and support services to help a person learn about and protect their rights and interests;
- Organizing and coordinating wellness/recovery events and activities.
To be considered for any of theses positions a candidate must have direct, personal experience using mental health services, be comfortable talking about that experience and be confident modeling principles of recovery and wellness.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be an active team member, offering support and assistance to ongoing projects;
- Be able to work independently on projects, meeting deadlines and taking initiative;
- Have basic computer skills; competence in Microsoft Office required;
- Demonstrating knowledge of job duties through follow-up and accurate record keeping is important;
- A clean NYS Driver’s License and/or reliable transportation is required.
- Candidate will have their NYS Peer certification or be in the process of obtaining certification within six (6) months of hiring. Please note that the minimum qualification for certification is a High School Diploma or GED.
MHEP is an equal opportunity employer. We actively recruit and hire qualified people who may have disabilities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age or sexual orientation.
Please send resume and cover letter to Victor Clark, Program Manager, RISE Center, at 6 Gramatan Ave., Suite #206, Mt. Vernon, N.Y. 10550; e-mail at [email protected], or fax to (914) 664-5043 by June 15th, 2021.