|Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic is looking for a Health Care Assistant, who will serve as a fundamental member of the health center operations and clinical support team. Applicant must successfully complete assigned support tasks under supervision of center management and licensed clinical staff. Additionally, they must provide essential assistance to maximize center flow, patient satisfaction, safety of PPHP’s services, and internal customer service.
Position Summary: Serves as a fundamental member of the health center operations and clinical support team. Successfully completes assigned support tasks under supervision of center management and licensed clinical staff. Provides essential assistance to maximize center flow, patient satisfaction, safety of PPHP’s services, and internal customer service.
Assist with front desk office functions including recepting and registering patients, photocopying, faxing, phone call and mail handling, scanning and all other assigned administrative support tasks.
- Handle all front desk functions as assigned including patient reception, check-in/ check-out, observation and maintenance of the waiting room, and observe and report back to center management to assist with patient flow and customer service
- Receive and make phone calls, handle mail and deliveries to the center as assigned; assures supplies are received and unpacked according to procedures
- Demonstrate proficiency in the electronic health record and practice management system
- Explains and offers available entitlement programs to patients, and assists in enrolling them.
- Assemble any necessary paperwork (such as instructional packets) and any fundamental chart information for clinical staff
- Handle lab results under supervision, including calling patients with results and scheduling any required returns to medical center visits
- Maintain electronic and medical chart functions as assigned including filing, scanning, purging, archiving.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with agency security procedures and protocols.
- Demonstrate flexibility and teamwork; understand the interaction between this position and others with whom the position works directly and indirectly.
- Participate in all center efforts to meet, adhere to and manage center fiscal goals relative to revenue and expenses.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Under supervision and direction of licensed staff and as per need of assigned center:
- Complete support functions for patient assessment including laboratory services and testing, vital signs assessment, readying patient for exam and treatment, setting up of trays, etc.
- Educates patients for both medication and surgical abortion.
- Draws blood and handles specimens correctly (i.e. correct vials, universal precautions) and complete appropriate laboratory requisitions.
- Provides urine pregnancy testing, HIV testing and any other PPHP approved laboratory testing and completes any appropriate laboratory requisitions.
- Obtains and records patient vital signs.
- Provides accurate and complete information/ education to clients concerning the risks and benefits of family planning methods, basic reproductive and family planning services offered by PPHP, and the availability of related services within PPHP.
- Conducts interviews with patients and assist them in understanding and completing medical histories, consent forms, and other information related to their visit. Provides contraceptive supplies, information and instructions for their use, as appropriate and delegated by the Senior Clinician/Clinician.
- Assists in the clerical and informational tasks related to proper follow-up of patients according to the protocols and procedures of PPHP.
- Performs options counseling.
- Cleans, prepares and stocks exam rooms, sterilizes instruments according to OSHA and PPFA standards.
- Ensures, through a professional, open, and courteous manner, that each patient receives the care and information he or she needs.
- Assists in the referral of patients to other services provided by PPHP or other agencies in the community, as indicated.
- Assists in the maintenance of an efficient, clean and comfortable Center facility.
- Takes personal responsibility to remain informed about family planning methods, abortion and other services offered by PPHP; PPHP protocols, policies and procedures; and to request training and continuing education as needed.
- Participates, as assigned, in routine Center chart audits and quality assurance procedures.
- Provides support and direction to Center volunteers as needed and directed by the Health Center Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Must speak Spanish fluently.
Job Type: Full-time