YMSM - Prevention Specialist - (PHA)
Do you have experience working with the “YMSM” community which includes young men who identify as gay or bisexual, are attracted to other males, and/or engage in sexual behavior with other males and males of color? If your answer is yes then this position is for you!!
The Prevention Specialist delivers peer-driven services to YMSMs (young men who have sex with men) between the ages of 13 to 24 in the counties of Rockland, Dutchess, Orange and Westchester. The programs goal is to increase awareness of HIV/HCV/STI status through educational workshops and outreach events and to refer young men at risk for testing, linking them to treatment and encouraging behavior modification to lower infection risk.
- Conduct outreach to recruit and develop a core group of young MSMs to act as peers for the PHA program.
- Conduct outreach to community partners and maintain collaborative relations with service providers in the counties serviced by the program.
- Conduct groups and events that provide health education and risk reduction strategies.
- Provide referrals for clients for testing, linkage to treatment and other services as deemed appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma with four years of experience in peer education, HIV/HCV/STI counseling and/or disease prevention will be considered. Minimum of one year experience working with the target population. Knowledge of HIV/HCV/STIs and HCV, harm reduction, mental health or community resources.
An Associates Degree with two years of experience in peer education, HIV/HCV/STI counseling and/or disease prevention will be considered. Or, Bachelors Degree in education, health, human services or related field with experience in outreach, HIV or STI counseling and prevention. Minimum of one year experience working with the target population. Knowledge of HIV/HCV/STIs and HCV, harm reduction, mental health or community resources.
- Must have a valid, unrestricted driver's license and independent means of transportation for frequent travel to locations throughout the assigned county as well as to the offices of Hudson Valley Community Services (HVCS) a Division of Cornerstone Family Health.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. Must be capable of standing for long periods of time, and able to climb steps, balance, kneel, crouch or crawl to complete his/her duties. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities to perform his/her essential job duties.