TransMission (The LOFT: LGBTQ+ Community Center)
- What: The LOFT's TranMission Scholarship raises funds for a pool of money that is used to offset medical costs for transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming applicants in need of hormone therapy, gender-affirming surgery, and other medical needs which are often expensive and not covered by insurance.
- Contact: Shepard Verbas at (914) 948-2932 ext. 13 or [email protected]
- What: A National non-profit organization that provides transgender individuals the comfort and stability they seek during their social, medical, and/or legal transition by providing helpful resources and by offering direct assistance with other issues that may arise such as housing instability, loss of employment, and and lack of health insurance.
- Contact: Aris Reyes at (562) 653-6029 or [email protected]
Community Kinship Life (CK Life)
- What: CK Life, founded in the Bronx by Kim Watson, offers a surgery scholarship, a surgery buddy assistance program, and insurance assistance.
- Contact: [email protected] or (347) 881-7005
- What: Genderbands, a nonprofit organization founded by non-binary trans guy Ian Giles, offers multiple top surgery grants on an annual basis and free chest binders. Genderbands also has a variety of gender centric merchandise for sale that assists in funding future grant opportunities.
- Contact: [email protected] or genderbands.org/contact
- What: The Jim Collins Foundation, a foundation build to honor the legacy of Jim Collins, a social worker and ally to the LGBT community, offers a medical transition grant.
- Apply: https://jimcollinsfoundation.org/apply/
- Contact: https://jimcollinsfoundation.org/contact-us/
- What: Point of Pride, a volunteer-ruin non-for-profit partially funded by Point5cc, a clothing and apparel company by and for trans folks, offers an annual transgender surgery fund, free chest binders, and free trans femme shapewear.
- Annual Transgender Surgery Fund: https://www.pointofpride.org/annual-transgender-surgery-fund
- HRT Access Fund: https://www.pointofpride.org/hrt-access-fund
- Electrolysis Support Fund: https://www.pointofpride.org/electrolysis-support-fund
- Contact: [email protected]
Rizi Xavier Timaine Surgery Scholarship
- What: Rizi Xavier Timaine, a female-to-male transgender singer, actor and trans-specialist coach who advocates for transgender rights, offers an annual scholarship for transgender surgery.
- Contact: call 323-247-8499 or through website
Trans United with Family and Friends (TUFF)
- What: TUFF, founded by Jake Rostovsky, offers case management and financial assistance for health care and transition expenses including an award for surgery.
- Contact: http://www.transunitedfund.org/contact/
Other Trans Health Resources
- HealthCare.gov: Transgender Healthcare
- Trans Equality: Know Your Rights
- Insurance Health Coverage for Transgender New Yorkers
Lists of coverage:
- List of employers that provide insurance covering transgender health services
- Lists of colleges and universities with health plans covering transgender health services
Find a provider for a specific service/provider near you: