The Newburgh LGBTQ+ Center seeks an experienced Grant Writer to work on a part-time/contractual basis to support the organization in grant writing, reporting, and cultivation of relationships with both new and existing funders. Working closely with the executive team and core organizers (the “Get Shit Done Crew”), the Grant Writer will assist in identifying and lead in writing grant applications to support existing programming and organizational growth. The ideal candidate should advance values which align with our own, including the development of an intersectional feminist framework, dedication to abolition, and commitment to dismantling the systems of white supremacy and cis-hetero-patriarchy that oppress us.
Who We Are:
The Newburgh LGBTQ+ Center is a hub for resources, education, community building, advocacy, and organizing for more resilient networks. As a grassroots organization, we work with community members to address economic, racial, and social barriers placed against people who are marginalized and directly impacted by systems of oppression. Through the engagement of legislative policies, access to community resources, and education of local populations, we work to bridge our communities together through mutual aid and programming designed to create relationships across the state of New York.
What is the gig?
We are a formation that is quickly growing and to meet the growth of our organization we need to bring on a grant writer to help us do searches for funds and foundations that we are eligible to apply to, work with our pre-existing language to write new and reapply to granting opportunities, and help us meet application deadlines and handle grant administration duties. The ideal candidate should also be able to create an internal system for tracking grants that are currently in progress, as well as those which should be pursued, and would have some experience or knowledge on how to cultivate and leverage relationships with foundations, granters, etc.
Are you passionate about and good at writing grants? Want to bring those skills to help us expand our budget? This is the place for you!
Qualifications and Skills:
You may be a good fit to join our team if you:
- Love writing, and are able to balance a use of clear and concise language with powerful emotional appeals in order to craft compelling narratives and effectively communicate our mission to funders.
- Are self-motivated, with excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Have the ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects at once.
- Feel comfortable working both collaboratively and independently on projects.
- Are passionate about ending the systems of white-cis-hetero-patriarchy that oppress us.
- Are committed to centering queer BIPOC voices and leadership in the work.
- Are excited to be part of a small, rad team, where you can work a flexible schedule, maintain ownership of your time and workload, and grow your own skills.
Hours / Salary
- $25 - $35/hour (commensurate with experience); 10-15 hours a week to start, and will increase as more grants are identified.
- Potential to grow the position.
How to Apply:
Submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample via email to [email protected]. In your email, please be sure to include the words “Grant Writing Application” in the subject line.